Friday, September 22, 2006

Digital Photography Hack: A Hands-Free Shooting Rig

Romain Guy wrote a nice article a while ago:

I love wandering around big cities with my digital camera. I'm amazed at how many interesting things I discover on foot. Incidentally, it's also a great way to capture candids. But neither of my two digital cameras is as well-suited for street shooing as I would like.

The first one, a Canon Digital Rebel XT, is somewhat fragile and valuable, so I keep it safe in a bag until I need it. This means it takes too much time to fire up to capture a decisive moment. My other option is a Canon PowerShot A70. Despite the fact that the A70 is more compact and portable, it's not responsive enough for quick action street shots.

I finally found the solution to my problem. The rig I came up with uses Mac OS X, and depending on the accessories you already have, will cost you from zero to a few dollars. Mac OS X is perfectly suited for this project, as it offers powerful standard tools, such as AppleScript. These tools have helped me think about new ways to record images, not to mention that the Mac platform is easy to work with. In fact, it only took me about an hour to design this system. Before describing how I built it, let's take a look at the final result.

Art lovers who liked this also liked:
lane art
lane canvas prints
lane framed prints
lane acrylic prints
lane metal prints
lane prints
lane posters
lane greeting cards
lane photos

walk art
walk canvas prints
walk framed prints
walk acrylic prints
walk metal prints
walk prints
walk posters
walk greeting cards
walk photos

alleyways art
alleyways canvas prints
alleyways framed prints
alleyways acrylic prints
alleyways prints
alleyways posters
alleyways greeting cards
alleyways photos


No comments: